My everyday encumbrances
I made this list, relevant to simplicity, when planning a prospective move to a
narrowboat. (This was cancelled
in favour of emigration to Ireland!) See also The basics for a more abstract
This is basically a personal list that I have put in my web site
because that is where I am least likely to lose it! But it is also
the sort of thing that might be useful to other people doing similar
- and bedding
- and associated equipment
- Can be fairly basic; gas or solid fuel
- Washing facilities
- Probably sink and shower
- Could be electric, but oil lamps and candles will do
- Basic tools
- Spanners, screwdrivers, hacksaws etc.
- Basic books
- and perhaps an icon
- I could do without this (dried food only) but it would be
better with it.
- Some books
- I have a lot of books that I either bought, or inherited from
my Dad, that I intend to read sometime. However, I should not
allow this to detract from time spent being creative or meditative.
- Further tools
- Tinkering with things is
very much part of me.
- This belongs in the workshop, not the living room, I have
decided. It must not be allowed to take over my life!
- Pillar drill
- Like the computer, this is something to use for specific
- Mobile phone
- Like the computer, this must not be allowed to take control.
- Exercise equipment
- in some sense this may be a luxury, but I but I do want to get
my health back up to scratch. Getting a recumbent trike will be
best for the legs and cardiovascular system, but I do also need
some systematic form of exercise for my upper body.
- Photo albums
- A major nostalgia item
- Further books